First posted on Facebook, May 21st, 2016

Happy Birthday to ex-Motherwell winger Andy Weir who will turn 79 today. Andy was capped six times by Scotland in a 13 month period from May ’59 to June 1960. His Scotland career couldn’t have got off to a better start as he scored within 6 minutes in his first game. Actually, it could have been better as John White of Falkirk had started his debut that day and scored in the first minute. Uwe Seeler would score for West Germany in the 14th minute before Graham Leggat hit Scotland’s 3rd in 23 minutes and Juskowiak would round off the scoring in the 36th minute. 103,415 had turned up for this friendly and surely would have enjoyed this one. Ian St. John and Bert McCann both also with Motherwell were given their first caps that day too.
Andy wouldn’t play again until April 1960 with Bertie Auld of Celtic replacing him in the side in between. He lined up against England at Hampden in a game that ended 1-1 with Fulham’s Graham Leggat providing the Scots goal.
A friendly against Poland at Hampden followed but Scotland never really have had much luck against the Poles at home, as I’m sure we all know and this game was no different. Although Denis Law and Ian St. John would both score in the first half, the Poles would hit three in reply.
Scotland then went on a small tour of Europe in which Andy would play all three games. Denis Law and Ian St. John would only feature in the first game. The first stop was at the Prater Stadion, Vienna where Scotland were given a bit of a doing with the Austrians scoring four and a lone Dave Mackay hitting a consolation goal.
Better fortune followed in the next game as Scotland drew 3-3 with Hungary at the Nep Stadion, Budapest. Willie Hunter of Motherwell would hit Scotland’s first goal in what was his debut for the team. George Herd of Clyde and Alex Young of Hearts would complete the scoring.
Andy’s final game would take place in the 19 Mayis Stadyum in Ankara in June 1960 and to date, this is still the only time Scotland have ever played Turkey in a full international. Scotland would lose 4-2 with goals from an Eric Caldow penalty and another Alex Young goal.
After this, Davie Wilson of Rangers slotted into the left wing position and would retain it for a number of years. Andy would play over 200 times for Motherwell and would retire from the game in 1968.
Happy Birthday Andy and all the best.

David Stuart