This is a cracking photo of Tommy Docherty’s Under 23 squad before a game against Wales at Pittodrie in January 1972. Many of squad would go on to full Internationals honours with the likes of Dalglish, Brownlie, Jardine, Buchan and Hansen all capped before this. Indeed, Alex Cropley’s full International career was already over, having won his only two caps in the months before.
It is also noticeable that this is only three months after Partick Thistle beat Celtic 4-1 in the League Cup Final as four Thistle players are present; Alan Rough, John Hansen, Jimmy Bone and Denis McQuade. Only McQuade would fail to represent Scotland at Full International level of those three but of the others Iain Phillip of Dundee, Ally Brown of Leicester and soon to be West Brom and John McGovern, then of Derby but in years to come a man who lifted the European Cup twice also never made to the higher level.
Here’s how Tommy rated his squad;

As to the game, the line-up was as follows: Ally Hunter (Kilmarnock), John Brownlie (Hibs), Willie Donnachie (Manchester City), Sandy Jardine (Rangers), Willie Young (Aberdeen), Martin Buchan (Aberdeen), John McGovern (Derby County), Lou Macari (Celtic), Jimmy Bone (Partick Thistle), Kenny Dalglish (Celtic) and Alex Cropley (Hibs). Denis McQuade would replace McGovern in the second half.
Scotland would win 2-0 with Sandy Jardine scoring the first and the second is officially credited to Denis McQuade scoring from an inswinging corner. However, rather bizarrely Welsh defender Terry Yorath claimed that Lou Macari had gotten a final touch to it with his hand. As if any Scotsmen would raise his arm in the area to hit the ball!
As a side note, looking up the Evening Times from the day after, there was also a report on Airdrie’s Texaco Cup match with Derby County at Broomfield, which ended goalless despite an excellent display by one Archie Gemmill.
Finally there is a report on the new World Cup, which will be ready for World Cup in 1974 at a total cost of . . . £7690 or $20,000.

David Stuart